Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Where Were You On 9/11?

I was in study hall in high school. I had just sat down in the library when the teacher came around the corner and told us that the World Trade Center had been attacked and the news was covering it if we wanted to watch it. Now since it had just happened, my mind went to when it was bombed many moons ago, so for a brief moment I was like "That's old news, why are we covering that now? Is it an anniversary of it or something?" Of course I then learned what had taken place that morning. It became the talk of the country. On the way home from school, people were lined up outside of gas stations due to the price gouging. When we got in and turned on the TV - it was being covered on just about every channel. Something I found interesting, and still find it so to this day, was that the anchor felt the need to warn us (the viewers at home) that the footage had not been edited and that there was vulgar offensive language. The footage showed had said language but the violence of the tragedy was far more vulgar than the language, yet they warned of what was being said and not of the visuals of people falling to their deaths and so forth.

A few days later I was at work. My father, brother, and I worked at an odd makeshift factory at the time. Weekends I believe since I was still in school. Anyway, I'm working across from a guy (the man who ran the operation) and he brought it up.
"Been seeing the news?" He asked.
"Yeah, it's pretty crazy." I replied.
"Yeah well, you can't dwell on it."
I immediately thought 'Why did you bring it up then?' But didn't say anything and went on about my work.

September 11, 2001 was one of the rare moments in my life in which something happened half the country away and it felt like it was happening all over. So where were you on 9/11? Add a comment with your story.

1 comment:

  1. I was home on bedrest with my daughter Juli. I watched it happen on live tv and I freaked. My husband was asleep and I ran upstairs to get him....he said "well that sucks" All I could think about was that it might be happening everywhere. As the events unfolded I was glued to the tv. My great uncle worked at the pentagon...was he safe? I had family in New York and Washington at the time. I don't think I came up for air for weeks. I didn't sleep , I couldn't. I was also hit with the realization that my brother had just joined the Army Reserves. It really did feel like it was surrounding us even though we were far away.

    ReplyDelete