Thursday, February 21, 2019

Stereo Falls and other tidbits

Starting tomorrow I'll be posting some old horror stories of mine. I'll be posting them on Fridays for a little while. A while back I was working on a horror anthology called Stereo Falls, the name of a  town that connects all the stories. Things always got in the way and it eventually was put on the back burner and left. I was revisiting them recently and hit a fork in the road. I could write the other stories and finish it, however, it's been some time and I don't write the same so it wouldn't sync up. So I'd just decided to clean them up and post them on here. Stereo Falls was to begin with the poem The Bleeding (posted last week) before the title page, then there would be 13 tales of terror. Ultimately didn't get to finish but I'd still like to do something similar in the future. I hope you read them when they drop.

Been getting some reading done. So far for 2019 I've read Misery by Stephen King and Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Both are wonderful. I'd seen both movies before reading the books and always enjoyed them both so I wanted to read them. Misery is twisted, more so than the film. I think of all the torture Paul Sheldon endured throughout his time in Annie's 'care' the one that made me react the most was making him burn his manuscript. Not a physical blow but two years worth of work up in smoke. Cloud Atlas is quite the read, taking you through six different interlinked stories. While the book is a certain flow, going up, hitting a peak, and then back down. The movie took these and mixed them up all at the same time. The book is extremely unique and creative with each story having its own voice. I recommend both. I'm currently reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll.

Working on a lot right now, which I'll touch on later. Still don't know what is to be my third novel. My mom just read my first novel Last Rites of the Capacitance recently. While not many have read it, the reviews have warmed my heart. My second novel Blue Sweep is completely different. While Last Rites was a mix of hard scifi/horror/suspense/space travel/medical zombies, Blue Sweep is a more realistic political drama/action about police brutality and police related deaths reaching a boiling point and the citizens rebel against the police. It tackles racism, media, loss, and anger with a hefty dose of debate and violence. No one has read it. So much for having something to say. I'm working with a lot of different genres, mainly science fiction, but I'll find that third book. There was another one that tackled some important issues that I was toying with but I felt it was too big for me at the time so I ended up using its format for Blue Sweep. Maybe I'll get back to that. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment