Thursday, July 21, 2016

Capacitance, Tourniquet, and More

Okay, so I'm a little behind.  Life has gotten in the way of plans.  My father always told me "Life is what happens when you're planning for the future" and he couldn't be more right.  I had hoped to be finished with Last Rites of the Capacitance by July 1st and then I'd go into the Tourniquet book as Dennis and I await the comic to be lettered. 

However, I've been met with constant interruptions which have set me back on my time.  Last Rites of the Capacitance, my first novel, is done finished as now I'm just going through doing some extra fleshing out.  As I'm going through the book some more scenes are coming to me that would help it out which is, of course, extending that time.  On a plus side to the tardiness to my own timeframe I've set for myself, the book is coming out better than what I had originally thought it could be as well as my publisher is very patient.  I'm hoping this book will help me out in all the ways I need it to.  That puts a lot of pressure on it, and more on myself, I realize that, but it's a feeling I'm verbalizing. 

Dennis Magnant, artist and friend, has been wonderfully patient with me as well.  As I've mentioned before, it was he and his wife who'd mentioned the possibility of the Tourniquet book.  I was the one who was kinda iffy on it before coming around to their idea, realizing how right they were.  The thought on doing so was to take the original five scripts I'd written and transferring it to book form and fleshing it out.  I had thought it would be interesting to use the original scripts as the comic is a little different.  I figured that way, the readers can get two different reads instead of just the comic and book versions of the same thing.  Something had hit me recently and I pitched it to Dennis and he liked it - we make all decisions for Tourniquet 50/50 as I'd never just write something from the world we've created without consulting him first and vice versa.  It had occurred to me that it might be more fun to do it in 5 serials as opposed to doing one full book.  Again, he agreed.  So as soon as this novel gets done I'll be writing those serials and I think we talked about releasing them for free - I'll have to check again though.  This world we've created and all the colorful characters within has been a long time coming and I'm sure some people think it's probably done for, not-so-much.  It's actually becoming richer as the time passes.  Dennis and I have hit a lot of roadblocks and they've, in turn, ended up strengthening our partnership and friendship.  We know what this can be and believe in it, I think, even more than what we did in the very beginning.  So, there are some exciting things coming up for the world of Tourniquet.  I thank everyone who has stuck by with the same patience we have awaiting it to pick up speed. 

In the past, I'd work on multiple things at once but, for some reason this novel has shut out everything else.  I understand its importance and I think that's why I've chosen to keep everything at bay until it's completed.  I have plenty of other projects that are on hold at the moment: a couple of screenplays with some friends, some art projects, animation, film, comics, a play, and more.  There are so many things to get done and the year is going by FAST.  I haven't put out nearly as much as I had hoped to by this time but I think what will be coming out will be even better, richer.  My next scifi novel (still odd for me to type as I've said before I never planned on being a novelist) is already outlined, more or less, however I'd like to get some of these other things completed before jumping into my next all encompassing book. 

I would like to note something else before I bid you adieu.  Things change in time.  When I wrote the initial draft of Last Rites of the Capacitance, it was 74 pages and, at the time, I loved it and thought it was good.  In between that first draft and this rewrite, overhaul, what have you, I'd gone through a few other projects, furthering me in my craft.  Going back to the original manuscript to do said rewrites, I saw the 74 pages totally differently other than a small section or so.  So doing the newer draft, I used the original as an outline.  BUT it made me think...  I had transcribed, transferred 5 horror screenplays into stories for a horror anthology called Sharp Items & Bad Intentions.  There wasn't much rewriting and fleshing out as they were quite simply script-to-story.  Well, now that I've gone through the process and realizing how to really expand on ideas, I'm very curious about dismantling the anthology and actually fleshing out some of the works.  I may actually have a few books in there.  I think I may be able to get at least three books out of what's in the anthology.  I'm starting to understand the nature of nurture when it comes to writing - as before I've worked very fast, however I hadn't really done any book work that required such nurturing until now.  I love learning and growing, even if it's forcing me to change how I'd worked for so long.  Every medium is different though. 

Once this book is done, among the other projects I'll be diving into, I'll take a look at those lengthy horror stories in Sharp Items and see what can be done.  Until then, keep an eye out for the Tourniquet serials and check out the science fiction novel Last Rites of the Capacitance when it comes out. 

And of course, my poetry book, Gun Control For Polar Bears, is out and available so be sure to get a copy of that.  I know a lot of people who don't necessarily care for poetry who've actually ended up liking the book.  One guy bought it for his wife as "She likes poetry, it's not my thing" but then read it, loved it, and wanted to use it for lyrics in his band.  It got a small, albeit great, review from Jeffery Potts on Amazon and the book and myself got a wonderful mention on the WTH (Well That Happened) Podcast.  It's not in rhyme and verse but a little more experimental.  It's not love poems or whatnot as it's a little bit of everything; some tell a story while others are more abstract, most are fairly dark I suppose.  So if you're interested in some weird poetry, give it a read.

Gotta get back to work.  You all have a great day and thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment