Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Update

I’ve got great news that I can’t really talk about at the moment but I’ve never been busier. My workload has gone from four to three to six projects. I put a pin in my rotation, just briefly to tend to a few things. 

One is a weird ass horror anthology that I co-wrote with my wife some time ago - title to be revealed closer to time of release. It was originally written after my first horror anthologies (Sharp Items & Bad Intentions and Beyond the Wall) and before my first novel (Last Rites of the Capacitance). So it was pretty early and I’ve been rewriting it to make it cohesive and palatable and everything else that it rarely is when one is first starting out. It’s coming along though and I just have the ending to go and then I’ll probably get working on the cover, and from there the release. What I can say about it is it ranges to different types of horror. 

The second of the three that popped up is a relaunch of Blue Sweep. As I stated in my last post, I’ve unpublished it in order to make way for a tighter vision. I cut the first chapter and it flows much better. I’ve been going through rereading it and giving little edits. I’m more than happy with it. Its cover has always been barebones with blue text over black, but now thanks to artist Dennis Magnant, Blue Sweep will have an actual cover. So I’m really excited about that. Maybe I can get someone to read it. You’d be the first other than my wife. 

I’m planning on releasing the anthology first but we’ll just see how things go. 

The third came about pretty organically. Years ago Dennis and I made a comic book called Tourniquet. Tourniquet died a quiet death and we’d talk about how we’d do it differently now. The book was in black and white and dialogue heavy, we decided to go a different route. Dennis colored the book. He’s handling art and coloring and I’m handling the writing and lettering. As we discussed Blue Sweep’s new cover, we talked about Tourniquet. Within a few exchanges we found our new direction. The pages I’ve done thus far have turned out great so we’re stoked. It’ll be released as a digital comic sometime this year.

And when I’m done with those three, I need to jump back in my rotation. I’m about halfway done rewriting my zombie book, my vampire book knows what it wants to be now, and my Christian murder mystery is rolling along well. I can’t wait to get back to them. Rewriting the horror anthology has been good for me; not just for my craft (it’s been a great exercise) but personally as well. There’s a certain feeling of closure about it. I’m ecstatic that Blue Sweep might actually get a chance to live. Tourniquet feels like the anthology, like finally finishing something. Maybe I needed to clean out the attic before I could give my all to these. Regardless, writing all this is a daunting task but it’s great, it is. I love writing. I love creating. It’s been very teaching, going back to rewrite and edit old stuff. All this work means my vacation continues to be put off but it’ll come. 

Alright, that’s enough rambling. A lot of big things on the horizon, so stay tuned. 
Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment