Wednesday, July 1, 2020

The ABC Method


Often times when I'm writing, I apply the ABC Method. Where you are is A, where you want to go is C, and how to get there is B. It's simple, stupidly so, but it works when you get flustered - and I know you get flustered. Sometimes when I'm working on a project I'll get lost in it momentarily and I'll get a bit overwhelmed. I have to stop and step back. A lot of times, this is when I apply this method. I'll say, "Okay, my lead is in bed, peaceful and sound. No current conflict. How can they interrupt a convenience store robbery?" There's my A and C. My MC's life is normal and I know the complications that are coming but getting to the jumpoff point is the B-line I need to figure out. "Okay.... After a waking yawn, they rubbed their eyes and reached for their morning cigarette. The pack was light, too light. The investigation didn't last long as the pack was found empty. They groaned and got up to get dressed. There was a gas station on the corner. They could walk down and get a pack, and maybe even a cup of coffee. After grabbing their keys and money, they left." And there's my B.

It can be long-term or short-term.

It can be, "My A is on a train with a bomb on a bridge, and my C is getting to the caboose. What's my B? It more than likely involves collecting my party, get through the panicked mob, etc."

Or it can be, "I want my A to start off a poverty stricken male, and my C to have them become a female and Queen of a civilization. How would I start my B?"

It's simple and it works when it's used right. It gives you a concise goal. I'm Here and I need to get There, How? More often than not, it is Not a straight line and there are usually many steps involved in B. It depends on your short-term or long-term. What do you want to do? When your long-term B is figured out, you can use the same method for short-term next. "Alright, I know where I want to go but damn it's big and that's a lot of work.... Okay, what's my first step, I'm at A, the princess is locked in the castle with a dragon standing guard. The next step I want to make is C, get to the castle to face the dragon. But then there's B which involves the journey, going through haunted swamps and dodging ravenous drifters."

Then again, it can also be, “The lead is handcuffed to a chair, A. They need to get out before the captors come back, C. What’s B? They pick the lock.”

The ABC Method: simple but don't count it out for it's simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment