Friday, July 17, 2020

Poetry Samples

I had posted these recently but I wanted to put them all together. I've already talked about these books a couple of posts back so I'm not gonna bore you with details. Here are selected few from each of my three volumes of poetry.

Gun Control for Polar Bears

8.

What is the coal that fuels us?
The match that sparks our anger
We're a large locomotive with millions of cars
That love to derail
The heat, the passion
Fuels such a train
Be it hate, anger, both
It pushes, it chugs
A destination reached
But we've lost more than a few cars


20.

The star fell that night
The campers saw
They wished
And so they caught every fish
There was to catch
The deer wished
And so the hunters lost their ammo
The bears saw it too
They also wished
And so the campers went to sleep
And left the coolers of fresh fish
Unattended


52. 

She took a hit of acid
Not too long ago
The carpet began to crawl
It spread up the walls
Reaching the ceiling
Encompassing everything with carpet
Furniture, clothes, appliances, everything
Every move, every step, was one in rug burn
The carpet grew taller
Then the knock at the door
If she could find it
It was him
The neighbor from across the hall
He's returned her lawn mower
Just in time


69.

The mailman is armed
Girl scouts are packing
The bag boy at the local grocery has a pipe bomb at home
The school janitor has a knife in his boot
The librarian has pepper spray on her desk
Bank tellers have their finger on the trigger beneath the counter
The bouncer has brass knuckles
The babysitter is strapping
And the coach has a nightstick
Though we've tried
We're still a violent nation
And though we've come a long way
The paranoid state in which we were raised in
Has left us a nation of arms
And not a nation of rational thought
It's not that we're concerned about protection
We're concerned about the thought
Entertaining the mere idea that something could happen
Fear
Artificial fear

https://supposedcrimes.com/collections/poetry/products/gun-control-for-polar-bears


Reflections at Various Speeds

No One Sees

Love me
Hate me
Fake me
Put me away
No one sees me
No one sees
Cut me
Burn me
Kill me
Keep me away
No one sees me
No one sees


My Kiss

My kiss isn't fair
I use it against her
When her claws come out and her barbs come at me
My lips are my shield and sword
My kiss is a warning
That it indeed may be the last
For if my presence is no longer requested and my leave is required
My lips will give her a history of our emotions in one solitary kiss
My kiss is an outburst
Sexually grasping at straws so she won't feel how scared I am
I hide behind my lips and countless apologies
Afraid of the end I try to avoid with kisses
My kiss...
Isn't a kiss without her


Parted

It's like an emotional terminator
No one knows where it started
It's like a crowded elevator
No one knows who farted
And it's like an escalator
One up, one down - we've parted
It's like a burning desire
No one knows what sparked it
It's like a blazing fire
Someone must have started
And it's like an escalator
One up, one down - we've parted
Like a sunny day
The clouds have sorted
The love of your life
A love less courted
And the world's an escalator
Eventually - we're parted

https://supposedcrimes.com/collections/poetry/products/reflections-at-various-speeds


Loose Lipped Secrets and Twinkling Lights

The Animals

Where are we
On the food chain
We keep animals in cages
And people in boxes
We give ourselves free reign
While handing out limitations
The food we eat
Must pass societal inspection
The current diet craze online
The ones we love
Must pass government code
Only legal affection required
The things we fight for
Are only allotted
We win what we're allowed
And lose what was rightfully ours
We complain
And call it fighting back
We're stepped on daily
But we're so used to the pressure
We call it life
How did we get here
We live like paupers
But are still royalty compared to others
Kings and Queens
Of our own boxes
We sentence others
While serving, ourselves
We preach love and equality
But act on hatred and fear
Build walls, burn bridges
High talk, low action
Why the animals have not taken over
I have no idea
Perhaps they're complacent too


The Reptile Bar

Textile reptiles
Drinking lager at the bar
The lizard orders two
One for it and one for its tail
The crocodile orders dinosaur crude ale
Pours some out for his ancestors
The snake coils around its glass
Flicking its tongue into the drink
The turtles returns to his shell
When it's had too much to drink
The frog orders with a side of flies
It's turned away
No amphibians allowed
The lizards call for more brew
And do shots off the turtle's shell
The snakes release their grip on their glass
And order another
Salamanders walk by and rethink entering
The crocodile conjures up old reptilian drinking songs
The bar breaks out into chorus
Drinks flow and the scaly be merry
The Reptile Bar is open till winter


These Hands

My mind is a wonderland
But my hands are too conservative
I try to paint the picture
But the words have set their footing
I need to break free
Bound
To these chains I've dressed myself with
I can't move freely
My mind has a wall around it
If I can just get over it
Perhaps I need to dig down
And go under
My mind is a zoo
That wishes to be set free
But the gatekeepers stay
Fear of rejection
Fear of failure
I dip my brush in the letters
And paint
I hate it
Too streamline
Too white bread
These damn hands
I need to sync
My mind is a carnival
But I'm not allowed on any of the rides
And I'm not allowed out
S.O.S.
I'd cut off my hands
Defeat my gatekeepers
But no picture would be painted
Frustration rising
When will I be free?


2.0

Give away all your possessions
Cleanse yourself
And order more
Cut yourself off from friends
And family
And search for replacements online
Toss out your beliefs
And share someone else's
Don't speak to others
But like their posts
Change your name
Come up with something eye-catching
And controversial
Stop using your voice
Type faster
Using numbers instead of letters
Peel your skin off
Head to toe
And download more
If you're still you
You're doing it wrong

https://supposedcrimes.com/collections/poetry/products/loosed-lipped-secrets-and-twinkling-lights






No comments:

Post a Comment