Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Junkies In Love


JUNKIES IN LOVE
Written by Christopher Michael Carter

FADE IN
INT. ADDICTS MEETING – DAY
Fairly blank room with metal chairs and a refreshments table. A group of men sits with their chairs positioned in a circle.

MR. JOHNSONolder, demeanor of a gym coach - leads the meeting with a group of usuals.

DUNCANtall, thin, pale – stands up while everyone else remains seated.

DUNCAN
Hi, my name’s Duncan. I’m an addict.

ROOM
Hi, Duncan.

Duncan’s voice fades to inaudible. The men are of different ethnicities in casual clothing.

DUNCAN (Voice Over)
Sad, isn’t it? A room full of junkies. A bunch of men sitting around introducing themselves several times a week, most of which who know each other already. Everyone’s saying “Hey, I’m Bob, I’m an addict.” Of course we’re addicts, why else would we show up to this meeting? I mean, come on, the snacks are free and all but it’s not exactly the tastiest ever. I don’t think any of us are really gonna quit. Maybe coming here is just to fill the gap between TV and dosing up; the space between sleep and a fix.

Duncan sits with the rest of the group.

MR. JOHNSON
Alright, let’s break.

LUCAS
(Looking around the room)
Anybody catch the fight last night?

MIKE
Nah, I had a hot date!

LUCAS
With who…?

JOHN
(Chuckling)
Heh, Lucas’ sister.

Everyone chuckles. LUCAS flips JOHN off.

MIKE
No, no, if it was Lucas’ sister I would’ve been just as well watching the fight.

They all laugh.

LUCAS
So who was it?

MIKE
…Girl from the diner down the street.

JOHN
Which one?

MIKE
What, which diner?

DUNCAN
There’s only one diner around, smart guy.

JOHN
Yeah, yeah. Which girl?

MIKE
Susan… Uh, Susan, yup.

DUNCAN
(Shaking his head)
Forgetting already? I gotta be honest, Mike, I’m not seeing a future here.

They chuckle. John is still confused. They pause.

JOHN
Susan Roberts?

MIKE
(Shrugging)
The only Susan working there.

LUCAS
(With his hands up)
Hey, my sister lives in Oakland.

JOHN
(Stern)
Yeah, but he went out with my sister.

They burst out laughing and talking over one another indistinctly. Duncan looks to the side, enamored.

DUNCAN (V.O.)
And that’s when she came in…

Enter SALLY - super thin, pasty, dark haired, scarred. Her dark clothing similar to Duncan’s. Her hat covers her obviously choppy hair.

DUNCAN (V.O.)
She entered the room and everything slowed down. I could see the scars on her wrist where she obviously tried to end that beautiful life. Just look at her sickly form. I bet without the jacket you could see her ribs. The way her cheeks slope in like she’s been making out with the vacuum cleaner. The dark circles around her eyes like she was either headed to a rock show or a bank robbery. Maybe both… only makes her that much sexier.

MR. JOHNSON
Duncan… Duncan, are you high!?

Duncan snaps out of his trance.

DUNCAN
No, sir, Mr. Johnson.
(Pointing past him)
But, uh, I think you have a visitor.

Mr. Johnson turns around to see Sally standing, looking kind of twitchy.

MR. JOHNSON
(To Sally)
Hi, there. Are you joining? New member?

She’s apprehensive before walking over and shaking his hand.

SALLY
Hi, I’m Sally.

The GUYS, with the exception of Duncan, turn around and whisper about her indistinctly.

MR. JOHNSON
Well, come on in, we’re taking a break right now if you’d like to help yourself to refreshments.

She nods and exits frame.

Sally fumbles around with cups at the refreshments table.

Duncan looks at her, tilts his head, then straightens up and walks over to her. The others still huddled together.

MIKE
You see those lips?

JOHN
Yeah… She’s a smoker.

MIKE
Those beautiful smoker lips.

LUCAS
And that body, wow, I bet she doesn’t eat much.

JOHN
Eh, I can’t stand ‘em that small. I’m always afraid I’m gonna break ‘em.

MIKE
Bah, breaking them is half the fun.

They all slowly look over to Mike.

Sally cleans up spilt coffee with paper towels. Duncan enters at her side.

DUNCAN
You know usually it’s more effective in the cup.

SALLY
(Chuckles)
Yeah. Thaaat’s what they tell me.

DUNCAN
(Extending his hand)
Hi, I’m Duncan.

SALLY
Sally.

They shake hands and stare at each other, smiling.

She smiles as light gleams off of her gold tooth.

Everyone’s back in the circle.

MR. JOHNSON
Okay, everyone we have a new member.

SALLY
Hi, I’m Sally, and I’m an addict.

ROOM
Hi, Sally.

She winks at Duncan when sitting down.

DUNCAN (V.O.)
There was no ifs, ands, or buts about it: this girl was special. There was something in those bloodshot eyes. There was something… There was something.

EXT. PLAYGROUND - DAY
Duncan and Sally sit and swing at a swing set, smiling and laughing.

EXT. PARK - DAY
The two sit at a picnic table, laughing over an open copy of William S. Burroughs’ Junkie.

EXT. CEMETERY - DAY
The two sit on a blanket on the grass surrounded by headstones. They smile and enjoy their picnic.

EXT. SIDEWALK - EVENING
Duncan and Sally walk hand-in-hand. They stop outside Duncan’s apartment and look at each other.

His eyes look strongly into hers.

Her eyes are just as strong back. She’s shy, biting her skinny bottom lip.

They kiss.
FADE OUT

INT. APARTMENT – DAY
Duncan wakes up in bed. He looks next to him to an empty space. He lies back on his pillow with his hands under his head.

DUNCAN (V.O.)
We laughed. We played. We loved.  We got high. We shared the most beautiful experience in the world. But, of course, all good things come to an end. With that said, I wasn’t too shocked to find her gone this morning.

Duncan gets up and walks to his dresser to see a note. He looks down at the note – with her gold tooth and red drops on top of it.

DUNCAN (V.O.)
The note she left on my dresser was vague but I got it. On the note was a droplet or so of blood …and her gold tooth. I guess you do have to love what you have while you have it, and I’m glad I did.

Done reading, Duncan is deep in thought.

DUNCAN (V.O.)
I wonder if I’ll ever see her again… I love you, Sally, wherever you are…

INT. ADDICTS MEETING – DAY
Another meeting. Same group.

DUNCAN
(Standing up)
Hi, I'm Duncan and I am an addict.
FADE OUT
END


No comments:

Post a Comment