Monday, January 8, 2018

Twenty Minutes In


TWENTY MINUTES IN
Written by Christopher Michael Carter

FADE IN

INT. HOUSE – MORNING (CONTINUOUS)

BEDROOM

A window opened about an inch – sun shining, birds chirping.

The German Sheppard’s peacefully asleep on the floor.

A young man’s naked feet peek out of a blanket at the edge of the bed.

The clock on the bedside table says 6:29.
6:30. BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

The dog barks at the alarm.

The young man grunts and groans under the covers. An arm reaches out at the alarm clock pushing buttons at random before shutting it off.

He sits up, dead-tired with bedhead. ZACH - a teenager in high school. He yawns and scratches his head.

ZACH
Hi, I’m Zach. Every night ends with an unfinished dream and every morning begins with that startling beeping. That dreaded alarm.
(Shakes head)
But that’s my life: I wake up…

MOM (O.S.)
Zach, honey, wake up!

ZACH
My bad, I’m woken up.
(Pointing off screen)
Credit where credit is due, I guess. I go to school and hope for the best. I leave school and fit in my time at the hardware store.
(Sighs)
Eh, I hate Mondays…

The dog gets up and leaves the room.

HALLWAY
The dog trots down the hall to the…

BATHROOM
Zack stands, brushing his teeth in the mirror.

He spits in the sink and looks into the mirror at the camera.

ZACK
You know, I’d compare high school life to a nice furnished wooden chair. It looks nicer than it feels.

HALLWAY
He steps out of the bathroom and pets the dog.

MOM (O.S.)
Zachary, you awake!?

ZACH
Yeah, mom, I’m up!
(To camera)
I fear this is gonna be my mornings every morning for the rest of time.
(Echoes)

INT. HOME - FUTURE
Same exact scenario. Zack’s old with gray hair and beard, wrinkly and baggy eyes.

OLD ZACH
Yeah, ma, I’m comin’! Lemme get muh tee’t.

INT. HOUSE, HALLWAY - PRESENT
Zach comes back to.

ZACH
(Dry)
Frightening, I know.
(Original demeanor)
But the good news is it’s my senior year and it’s January. So it’s almost over. And then off to college where I’ll hopefully get more morning sleep… Yeah, fat chance.

KITCHEN
Zach comes downstairs. His little brother, MICHAEL, has breakfast at the table.

Michael pours soda in his cereal instead of milk. Zach stops, looking at this.

ZACH
Breakfast of champions?

MICHAEL
Yup, yup.

Their MOM struggles to get a fork out of his sister LUCY’s hair.

MOM
Well, Lucy, how in the world did you get it stuck in there?

LUCY
I don’t knooooow.

She tugs at Lucy’s hair when she notices…

Michael dipping his pop tart in his soda and cereal.

MOM
Eww, Michael, don’t eat that.

Zach steps back to center frame.

ZACH
And that’s what it’s like in this household. My parents split up a couple of years ago and it’s been this way ever since. My dad went to Vegas on a trip and while he was there he fell in love with a stripper named Candy. …They now run a farm just outside of Nevada.

LUCY
Mommy, what’s a stripper?

MOM
(Glaring at Zach)
I’ll tell you when you’re older.

KATYhigh schooler – enters the back door.

LUCY
Katy!

MOM
Morning, Katy.

KATY
Morning, Miss Jones.

MICHAEL
Hey, goober.

Katy rustles Michael’s hair.

KATY
Yeah, yeah, hey turd.

ZACH
(To camera)
That’s my girlfriend, Katy; my only real reason for staying in school.
(To Katy)
Hey, baby.

KATY
Good morning.

They kiss.

MICHAEL
Ugh.

LUCY
Ew, hehe.

ZACH
(To the kids)
Shuuuut uuuup.

KATY
You almost ready?

ZACH
Yeah, just let me get my stuff.

KATY
Oh, and Daddy needs you to stay late.

Zach nods to her before turning back to the camera.

ZACH
Oh, by the way, my boss is her dad… Yeah, I know.

Zach exits.

BEDROOM
He puts his books in his backpack.

ZACH
Every day starts off with the same twenty minutes. Some of my friends get up an hour before me and some get up an hour afterwards. I wake up, get my stuff together, and come down to the same greeting every morning. And every night I think maybe the next day will bring something epic. Hopefully your morning rituals don’t seem this bland. And that’s it – twenty minutes into the day and it’s off to the locker clad jungles of school.
(Shrugging)
A lot of hurry up and wait. Well, I guess I’ll catch some Z’s in study hall & wait for something epic to occur…
(Sigh)
There’s always tomorrow.

KITCHEN
Zach comes back downstairs. Katy waits for him alone.

KATY
Ready?

ZACH
Yep.

They take each other’s hand.

KATY
Then let’s hit it.

They exit.

Dirty dishes sit in the sink.

A fork with a chunk of hair on it sits on the table.

The stairs are vacant. The house is quiet.

The dog sleeps in Zach’s bed.

The bedroom window still barely open. Birds chirp.

ZACH (V.O.)
Ya know, my morning rant may have seemed a bit dramatic, but you’re probably not in high school or you’ve forgotten. …You wouldn’t understand…
FADE OUT

END

No comments:

Post a Comment