Thursday, April 14, 2016

I Know A Guy - Vampire story 3 of 4

This is the third of the four completed mini vampire stories from Chris Langley and myself. As I'd mentioned before, all of these were/are meant to be really short and just little connected pieces in a bigger world. I still look at it as Frank Miller's Sin City for Vampires. The full story that encompasses all of these tiny bits is actually really exciting and far different than the usual vamp stories we'd seen or read previously. I hope to one day get back to these; not only is it an interesting and sprawling story but I'd love to get a chance to actually work with Chris.  However as it stands we're both very busy with life; he's going to school and I'm busy trying to get this career up and going.

So here it is, the next mini vamp story, "I Know A Guy"...




I Know a Guy



It’s a beautiful day outside, where a couple of college friends have a table outside the lovely restaurant Cozoa. They’re enjoying their various club sandwiches and discussing the new social issue – vampires.

Steven & Cole have been friends since they were freshmen in college. Steven now owns Brooks Roofing Co. and Cole is an assistant to the mayor.

“I’ll tell you what I can’t stand,” Starts Cole, “It’s not the Jews in Hollywood or the blacks in office…”

“Jesus, Cole.” Cole’s race issues have always made Steven uneasy.

“…It’s the damn vampires.” Cole finishes.

A head shaking Steven replies, “Yeah, I don’t know. The whole thing seems weird to me. Whatever happened to taking a night with some popcorn and watching some Bela Lugosi movies? No. Now we have to share an elevator with Bela and subways and banks and restaurants. It’s just too weird.”

“We went from reading books and watching movies to cloning sheep and splicing genes.”

“Maybe it’s just evolution. Like this is the next step up. Like Betamax to VHS.”

“Or DVD to Blu-Ray.”

“Exactly.” Steven adds.

“Nah. No moving up from us. We’re it. Top of the line and top of the food chain.”

“I don’t know about all that. You know Gloria used to say that everything had a purpose. I wonder if this whole thing could have one.”

Cole puts his drink down almost rolling his eyes, “Look, Stevie, I know you miss Gloria. I miss her too, she was a hell of a gal. But you gotta move on, man. Try to find you something new.”

“Can we get back on topic please? Look, I don’t like this vampire thing anymore than you do but maybe there’s a bright side here that we can’t see.”

“Well, you’re right there. I don’t see it… Hell, Stevie, you know what they’re talking about now? Givin’ ‘em jobs. Working with us, banking with us, hunting with us, farming with us. Do you want your boy eatin’ something grown or made by some lousy leech? If it were up to me we’d make them all illegal aliens. Kick all of them outta this country. I don’t want our kids and vamps to share schools together. It’s unsafe and unnatural.” Sparks Cole.

Steven sits blank faced thinking of it while trying to get some of the turkey from between his teeth. Cole wipes his mouth clean with his napkin and throws it down to his finished plate while leaning forward.

“I know a guy… Who specializes in… Extermination.” He says whispering.

“I’m not following you.”

“I know an exterminator for our… Pest problem.”

“Jeez, Cole, a hitman?”

“SHHH! No. Just, for these situations. So if you ever have trouble with a vamp you can call him.”

“And where’d ya dig this guy up?” A skeptical Steven asks.

“I can’t give you any information. I just have his contact.”

“Ooh, mysterious. I don’t think I’ll be having trouble anytime soon. Thanks anyway.”

“Hey, gimme a call if you change your mind.”

Cole stands up and pulls out his wallet, “I’ll get the tip.”

“Later, buddy.” Steven says shaking Cole’s hand. “I’ll be in touch.”

No comments:

Post a Comment