Monday, May 30, 2016

Dating Stories

Unless it's pertinent to the story, I'm not really a fan of dating in stories.  Not dating as in going out on a date but dating as in placing it in specific years. 

I suppose more of this takes place in science fiction than any other genre really.  I speak often about my love for the film Blade Runner.  My only real issue with it is the date in the film is 2019.  Of course, the film is so wonderful, I overlook it.  I've always been this way, so when I'm writing (again, unless it's important to the story), I don't use specific dates.  I'm up to my knees in my sci-fi novel right now (Loving it btw) and I won't be dating it.  I'd rather it seem futuristic yet now simultaneously and in years down the line I'd like it to feel the same. 

I know there is a lot of sci-fi that uses years (ala 2001: A Space Odyssey) and, as time passes, one of the first things that is brought up - almost before the story's merits - is all the things that story "predicted".  Avatar is dated in 2154 I believe and you can bet your bottom dollar that when the time rolls around people are going to be looking at the film and the state of humanity and technology.  I'll say one of the smartest things that Star Wars did, is it didn't date a thing.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing; I'm simply stating it's not something I care for.  The year in my book is not pertinent in any way to the story.  I'm not making predictions; I'm a writer telling a story.  The technology and futuristic situations tells you it's definitely off a ways but the situation is written as if it's going on now; you're right there with them.  I hope you all do and will get what I'm saying.

In horror, you can date it in old gothic times, the 70s, and so forth, and it will change your story.  But, again, if it's not something that really means anything to the story or the style of the story I don't think it matters.  In the horror work I've done, I haven't dated any of it.  The style and situations, along with the surroundings and such, will give the reader their own image.  I feel the same for just about any genre.

Also, you can discuss world events and even styles of cars and clothing, etc. and it will give the reader the idea of what your time period is without having to pinpoint it to a direct date.  If you're talking about things that haven't happened, along with things that haven't been seen, it's a safe bet to say it's set in the future.

But, as I said, if it's important to the story, then go for it.  If you're telling a futuristic story that you plan on dating, it's wonderful to use historical dates and events leading up to that date; building and setting the picture.  Beyond that, I'm just not a fan.  As a reader myself, I don't care what year it takes place in, I care about the story and the characters.  Unless - you use your dating almost as a character in the story itself; just as a vehicle or a surrounding can be its own character. 

Food for thought.  Time to get back to work.  I turned in the first 10 pages to my publisher.  This book is only getting richer and richer.  I hope your all's work is going well! 



No comments:

Post a Comment