Monday, May 23, 2016

Goodbyes - A short comic book script

So recently my wife and I went to a bar out in the middle of nowhere for a birthday party of one of her coworker's relatives.  Her coworker's son's girlfriend told me she read my book and enjoyed it; I was flattered.  The coworker's mom asked me what I wrote and then asked if I'd ever write a romance novel.  It took me back to when I was a little boy writing violent monster stories to which My mom would ask me why I can't just write a nice love story.  As a young boy, my mind wasn't processing this at all and I looked at her like she was crazy. 

Years later I would end up writing this 8 page comic short, a romance of sorts, in "Goodbyes".  As it is very wordy, the visuals seen in my head for this is very simple art but most of the pages being filled with lettering, both dialogue balloons and thought clouds.  In the very beginning of my wife and I's relationship, I worked all the time and there was an unspoken tension.  She's not exactly the most affectionate or outgoing with her feelings so I wrote this, imagining a "maybe" situation.  She read it and cried, agreeing with its accuracy.

Still, I never had it in my mind to write a romance book; it's never been an interest of mine.  Years later I'd end up writing "Dream of Me", another kind of romance story.  So as the woman at the bar asked if I'd ever write a romance novel, my wife was behind me saying "Ugh, no, he writes really dark stuff."  My wife hates romance stuff.  However, I'm learning as a writer to never say never.  I don't know, a romance novel of sorts might come to me and compel me enough to sit down and put in the work.  I've already written a short comic book script and a short story, both roughly in the genre, so I can't really write off the idea.

Regardless, here's "Goodbyes", a comic book short that had come to me years ago and it's been sitting amongst my other comic scripts.  One of the things I've always loved about comic books is it's a medium that truly can defy rules and you can do anything with them; so I've always liked experimenting with storytelling in them.  The only problem with that, is it's hard to find artists who feel like joining the experiment a lot of times, but I keep writing them because they interest me and I figured some day when I'm more financially comfortable, I can actually hire artists to get my comics made.  I hope you enjoy this short. 


Goodbyes

By Christopher Michael Carter

Page 1
Panel 1: Two people, a couple. The man, Michael, white and the woman, Denise, black. Michael’s sitting on the edge of the bed while Denise is still covered up (while sitting up) in bed. She’s smoking. He’s in the middle of getting dressed.
      Denise: Where are you going?
      Michael: I told you I gotta work this weekend.
      Denise (thought): Why is he leaving me like this?
Panel 2: He’s looking to his side, over his shoulder. She’s still in the background.
      Michael: I gotta go in, babe.
      Denise: Yeah…
      Denise (thought): …Right. Why does it seem so easy for him to leave?
Panel 3: His hand on her cheek.
      Michael: What’s wrong, babe?
      Denise: Nothing. I’m fine.
      Denise (thought): I’m so lonely and you’re leaving me.

Page 2
Panel 1: Michael’s brushing his teeth in the mirror.
      Michael (thought): A smarter man would call in and spend the evening with the woman he loves, but I’m up for a promotion and taking tonight off could affect that. Money over love, I know, I know, but that’s not the case…
Panel 2: Close up of his eyes looking down.
Panel 3: A picture of an engagement ring unfolded in his hand.
      Michael (thought): …Not the case at all.
Panel 4: Michael with both hands pressing a towel to his face. His eyes are visible.
      Michael (thought): If she only knew.

Page 3
Panel 1: He’s back in the room. She’s now sitting on the edge of the bed. He’s standing.
      Denise: When will I see you again?
      Michael: I don’t know. Soon.
      Denise (thought): Don’t do me any favors…
Panel 2: Her hand getting a cigarette.
Panel 3: The end of her cigarette igniting.
Panel 4: His hand’s on her leg. She’s blowing smoke to the side.
      Michael: I’m not going anywhere, babe. Don’t worry.
      Denise: Ugh, I’m not worried. I don’t even think that until YOU bring that crap up.
      Denise (thought): He’s right. I’m frightened he’ll never walk back in through the door again.

Page 4
Panel 1: His hands grabbing his wallet and keys off the dresser.
      Denise: Why do YOU have to go in? They didn’t have anyone else?
      Michael: They needed someone in my position.
Panel 2: He’s putting his jacket on.
      Michael (thought): I hate leaving her.
      Michael: It’s just a couple of nights.
      Denise: Yeah and then you go back to your place instead of with me.
Panel 3: They’re in profile. His hands lifting her chin up.
      Michael: It’s gonna be okay. I’ll be back before you know it.
      Michael (thought): I wish you knew how much I love you.
Panel 4: They kiss.
      Michael (thought): The kiss is cold. Her lips even know you’re a fool for leaving.

Page 5
Panel 1: The same kiss, probably a different angle.
      Denise (thought): Don’t really kiss him. Don’t give in.
Panel 2: Them just looking at each other.
      Denise & Michael together: What are you thinking?
Panel 3: They smirk and have a small chuckle.
      Denise: You first.
      Michael: Just how beautiful you are.
      Michael (thought): And how bad I miss you already.
      Denise: Whatever!
      Denise (thought): I hope he always finds me beautiful.
Panel 4: She’s touching his beard. Running her fingers down his chin.
      Michael: You?
      Denise (thought): That you’re a jerk.
      Denise: Just tired. Gonna jump in the shower and get to bed early.

Page 6
Panel 1: He’s kissing her forehead.
      Michael: Get your rest, sweetie.
      Michael (thought): I love you more than you know. I hope you never get bored with me.
      Denise: Have a good night at work.
      Denise (thought): Please don’t get tired of me. I love you so much.
Panel 2: A real kiss.
Panel 3: He’s holding her. Her head on his chest. We see her face but not all of it.
      Denise: You better get going. You don’t want to be late.
      Denise (thought): Stop pushing him away.
      Michael: Yeah…

Page 7
Panel 1: Their hands held.
      Denise: I’ll walk you out.
Panel 2: His hand on the door knob.
Panel 3: She’s got her arms around him and her head is on his back.
      Michael: It wasn’t always be like this you know.
      Denise: Yeah…
      Denise (thought): Doesn’t seem to be changing anytime soon.
      Michael (thought): I’m trying not to seem weak or clingy. She holds my heart, my thoughts, my everything, and she hasn’t a clue.

Page 8
Panel 1: He’s outside the door, she’s still inside.
      Michael: I love you.
      Michael (thought): This is killing me.
      Denise: Love you.
      Denise (thought): Jerk.
Panel 2: Her standing with her arms crossed and an angry face.
Panel 3: The door shut.
Panel 4: Denise looking sad, her hand on the glass door.
      Denise (thought): I miss you…



No comments:

Post a Comment