Monday, May 23, 2016

The Weekend

Recently I had been having a bit of a Multiple Sclerosis flare-up.  These were little things that I normally deal with but it had hit a point where they wouldn't stop.  These issues weren't just popping up as they were before but here all day, everyday, and not leaving me alone.  I finally called my doctor and told him I couldn't do it anymore and it wasn't stopping.  They set me up with a three day steroid treatment.  They went well, I suppose.  Now I have to wait a few days before calling them back to let them know how I'm feeling. 

The way my weekends normally work is I don't get to actually work-work; not much writing gets done.  And it's not because of mass quantities of fun.  We don't tend to have much fun in this house as our weekends are full of chores and errands.  If I sit down to write, I'm usually interrupted.  This weekend was a bit different.  I actually got to work on my book.  As I've said before about how I'm going about "Last Rites of the Capacitance".  I'd already rewritten the first ten pages but was wanting to really dig into them before moving on to the next ten.  This weekend I got to do so.  It felt so good to work on the weekend; I hate when I DON'T get to write.  I could actually feel the book getting better at my fingertips the deeper I dug and the more they became enriched.  I believe once I'm done enriching and fleshing out these pages, I'll probably break for a moment to send things off or even start on the Tourniquet book.  I don't really like to work on only ONE thing at a time.  It's always felt better for me to have at least two pots on the stove at any given time.  Any time I have worked on solely one thing it's been frustrating.  If I hit a snag, it's almost like there's nowhere to turn and if I force myself through that particular snag I don't feel it's genuine.  Sure, it's good to push yourself past a feeling of procrastination but, for me, if I'm barging through a snag it's probably not going to end up what I want it to be.  As if I'm just writing to get past it and not for the good of the story. 

While I was planning to get to Dennis Magnant and I's Tourniquet adaptation of our comic book sometime this summer (I believe I was thinking later-later this summer), it hit me yesterday that I'd like to get started sooner than I had originally expected.  I let him know last night.  It'll probably get started this week at some point and, as I've said before on here, I'll be keeping you up to date on the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment